Swingman

"loutent" wrote in message

I agree completely. After having ripped my 400+ CD collection to my HD,
I seldom play directly from the originals anymore. I use 192k VBR and
the sound is excellent and identical to my aging ears. Each CD used 50
to 100 MB space, depending on TT, so I get about 10-15 discs/GB. Plenty
of space on my 80 gig HD.

These days I do most of my recreational listening over an iPod, either
plugged directly into the stereo in the truck/shop, or with iTunes on a
computer.

I have 2500 of just my favorite tunes on the iPod/iTunes, and the only place
the difference in sound quality is apparent, or bugs me, is in the studio
over a tuned pair of near field monitors. Everywhere else it is acceptable
.... AAMOF, listening is relative and your ears adjust quickly to lower sound
quality, witness the lowly cassette of yore.

Not to mention that I would rather hear a low quality recording of a good
song, than an audiophile quality recording of a bad song.

..... and I'd kill to keep someone from stealing my iPod.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04