barry martin

Default Garage electric outlets n

Basha:

B I recently moved into my first house (year built 1993). After a week,

Copngratulations! We'll be seeing a lot from you! g

B I noticed that the electric outlets in the garage not working along
B with one outlet outside just adjacent to garage. I checked all the
B GFCIs. I checked all the circuit breakers. They look ok. I got onto
B the attique and couldn't find where those outlets are feeding from.
B The grage door opener and the light bulbs in garage are working fine.
B They are fed from seperate line. Is there a way that I can
B troubleshoot/find out where these outlets are feeding from? Is there
B anything I can do from my side or is it better to call an electrician?

Not sure if this would work but you could try one of those circuit
tracing sets: one part plugs into the outlet (or lamp socket with
adapter) and the other part picks up the signal when passed over the
circuit breaker. I know that works but don't think you can trace a
wire with it. You _might_ be able to use a portable AM radio to trace
the wire through the wall, however. (I have used a signal generator
[for electronics] and an AM radio.)

It is possible for a circuit breaker to trip and not look like it
tripped. Flip the breaker to the OFF position, then back on. (Might
be a good time to start a listing of what circuit breakers control
what lights/outlets.)

It is also possible for a wire to disconnect, which would cause
downstream outlets/devices to not work. The problem could be at the
'output' of an outlet, the 'input' to the outlet, or at a junction
box.

Ckt Bkr ==========Outlet1=====Outlet2_=============Outlet3 ====Outlet4

The break after Outlet2 kills Outlet3 and 4.

Another possiblilty is the outlets are controlled by a switch. I have
my electronics workbench wired so when the light is off so are most of
the outlets. (There's a couple of slightly-out-of-the-way outlets
which are live all the time for battery chargers, etc.) When the
light is off so are the outlets: I don't want a soldering iron to be
left on accidentally!

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* If you think you can, or can't, you're right!
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *