John Rumm

Can anyone advise me if it is possible to wire up a two-way circuit
with a plate two way light switch and a push on/off, rotary two way
dimmer, so that either is able to turn off the light.

Yup, although at the plate switch end you will be stuck with whatever
brightness has been selected at the dimmer end (unless you get some more
expensive master slave dimmers)

At the moment whichever switch turns on the light is the only one that
can switch it off.

That's not right.... but I guess you knew that!

The dimmer can always dim the light, regardless of how it was switched
on.

This is how it should be...

Is it possible to have either switch able to switch off the light,
even if it didn't switch it on?

Yes

The dimmer is at the 'remote' end of the circuit at the moment - in
other words it only has the red/yellow/blue cable going to it.
Does it need to be at the 'feed' end?

Does not matter. If you look at the diagram below, and complete circuit
(i.e. light one) will include a path through the dimmer.

what terminals, do I need to put which cables in, on which switch?
I have tried various combinations to no avail :-(

Live SW1 SW2
------------*--------------------*
L1 / L1
/