loutent

Hi Greg,

I agree completely. After having ripped my 400+ CD collection to my HD,
I seldom play directly from the originals anymore. I use 192k VBR and
the sound is excellent and identical to my aging ears. Each CD used 50
to 100 MB space, depending on TT, so I get about 10-15 discs/GB. Plenty
of space on my 80 gig HD.

The great thing is that you can compose custom playlists for whatever
occasion you want, shuffle etc, etc. I have an older Mac and use
Soundjam (precursor to I-Tunes, I believe).

The woodworking part came in (sort of) when I ran wires through the
walls from the computer to the receiver, speaker selector and into the
kitchen, DR and deck - each with its own volume control. It was a PITA,
but it was worth it. Lots of drywall patching!

I think that you can do all this wireless now, but I like all that
copper.

I still have to get the music into the shop tho!

Lou

In article , Greg
wrote:

Well, the sampling rate for a typical MP3 is about one one-hundredth
of that for a CD. So, go with MP3s if you like really degraded sound.

100:1??? bull****!
Both use a 44kz sample rate.
MP3 just uses a compression scheme that reduces the file size by about 1/5 -
1/10 depending on bit rate. You can save them in WAV at exactly the same
resolution if you are that much of a purist. The price of disk drives is so
low
these days that this is a reasonable option.

I defy you to tell the difference between a 256 kbs MP3 and CD when played on
the normal stereo system in the usual home setting. In a moving car with 60
or
70 db of background noise your CD "quality" is totally wasted and you can
probably use 128k or even 64k.
320kbs MP3 is far superior to what you can get from FM radio, Vinyl or tape.
It
is certainly better than the average stereo system can reproduce. If it wasn't
so good the RIAA would not have their panties in such a wad over it.
The people who say MP3s are "really degraded" are the same folks who think
they
can hear the oxygen in their speaker cables. Most of us don't live in a sound
conditioned space with a $10,000 sound system and if you are really a
woodworker your hearing is probably "really degraded" more than an MP3
anyway.
There is as much bull**** going on in the marketing of stereos as there is in
golf clubs, exercise equipment and marital aids. If you really think it works,
it works.