Bob S.

zxcvbob wrote in message ...
Den wrote:
Group:

US Calif here. Do the wiring regs require that Cable and Telco
services are bonded to the electricity ground.

Yes. Article 800 of the NEC (national electric code).

It seems that my telco has it's own ground (a wire disappears into
the earth!), and the catv service is bonded to an electrical conduit
(but not the the ground stake itself). Any advise for getting them
changed to comply with wiring regs at no cost?

Cheers Den

Good luck. The telco does whatever the hell it wants because they only
answer to the Public Utility Commision, and they know the PUC doesn't
care about residential grounding. The local electrical inspector also
has some jurisdiction, but he won't want to get involved. Perhaps he
has no real enforcement authority over the phone company? I went
through all this a couple of months ago. I ended up grounding the NID
myself, and I had to argue with the telco billing office for about 20
minutes when they tried to charge me for a service call when they sent
someone out who just told me "I checked with my supervisor and we don't
do that" and left.

BTW, bonding to the metal *service conduit* is specifically allowed by
the NEC and is about as good as bonding to the grounding electrode
system, so your CATV is likely OK.

Best regards,
Bob

I had a similar experience. I have a 625ft run of D.E.B. telephone
cable from their service box to my residence. I had several modems go
bad during thunderstorms so I called them to check the grounding. The
ground point was the service box and they would not drive a ground rod
at the residence. Case closed from their viewpoint. I drove my own
ground rod and connected it to their cable. Problem solved - no damage
for the last 2 years now.
Bob S.