barry martin

Default Inground spa light replac

Neal:

N I have an inground spa connected to my pool. The light continually
N trips the GFIC when the light is turned on. I know that the problem is
N specific to the spa light and not the pool light because the GFIC does
N not trip with the spa light leads disconnected at the junction box.
N The lamp socket in the light is rusty but the interior appears to be
N dry. The light is a Sta-Rite and is held in the niche by a light wedge
N with a stainless steel screw through the face ring of the light.
N I have obtained a Pentair light that will fit in the niche. The
N pentair light has what they refer to as a "pilot screw" throught the
N stainless steel face ring that warnings in the manual say is a part of
N the light grounding system. The "pilot screw" apparently screws into
N the Pentair niche to hold the light in the niche. The Sta-Rite niche
N that is installed in my spa does not have a tab for the "pilot screw"
N to screw in to. The Pac-Fab light fixture has a ground wire in the
N cable just like the Sta-Rite light that is currently installed. The
N niche is properly bonded.
N My question is this: Can I safely use the Pentair light in the
N Sta-Rite nice in my spa using the light wedge not screwing the "pilot
N screw" into anything on the niche housing?

I would probably create a hole for the "pilot screw" to screw in to.
Sounds like this is a safety ground, so probably not too good an idea
to ignore it (especially in a pool -- water and electricity don't play
together nicely, y'know!). Depending on what I have to work with,
some possibilities: self-tapping sheet metal screw to replace the
"pilot screw". Self-tapping screw which clamps a suitable wire to
ground, rig something to connect the lamp fixture's ground to system
ground.

The possibility still exists the replacement lamp will trip the GFCI.
I definately would _not_ bypass the GFCI; replacing the GFCI with a
more current model may be a possiblity as the old one could be old and
a little too sensitive.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Rectitude - n., the formal, dignified demeanor assumed by a proctologist.
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *