On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:26:07 -0500, someone wrote:

My girlfriend and I are planning to buy some land and build a house
ourselves....

Aren't you the same person who has been posting a whole lot of newbie
Q's about house buying? And now you get this new bright idea. Back
off, buy a house.

I really don't have the skills of a handyman but am willing
to learn.

A "handyman" is someone who performs small fixit jobs, not someone who
builds houses. Buy yourself a house and learn to be a handyman on
your own house, before you try to learn every construction trade PLUS
a GC's coordinating and management skills, on you very first "job".

How many years do you have to do this? Will this take time away from
some other money earning activity of your? If you have other wealth,
don't work, have nothing to do, no place else you ant to go, well ok
its your $. But since you are talking about how much you will save
and (if I recall correctly) whether certain things in other posts were
good deals, I don't think that is your situation.

-v.