Ed Sirett

Default Condensing Boilers - Suitable models

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 06:58:32 +0000, Mika wrote:

Hi All,

Just wanted to get some feedback/opinions on condensing boilers...

Specifically, not wanting to spend over 600 sterling pounds (including
VAT) on a condensing boiler (ideally SEDBUK rated 'A'), what
makes/models does anyone suggest, and more importantly from which
supplier?

I have a 3 bed semi, 1 bath, 1 kitchen, 8 rads in total.

Also, as I am running around trying to get prices for plumbers to
change my open vented system to a sealed system, what should I be
looking at paying for this conversion (london area).

All comments (constructive) appreciated.

Christian has covered a list of suitable makes (my preference is for the
Keston which includes the pump but not the sealed system bits) but they
are about 750.

Most boilers can be run as a sealed system and many require this.

Converting to a sealed system is a good move and a very small part of
upgrading a heating system. A guide price for the _labour_ for converting
a conventional non-condensing boiler system to a sealed system PLUS all
the other stuff that is likely to be needed (controls, TRVS, flushing out)
is about £1000.

HTH

BTW I had a new cusomter complain last night about did I think £900 was
the charge for replacing [a normal conventional] hot water cylinder!

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk