Ray Kinzler

Secret Squirrel wrote in message .97.131...
(Ray Kinzler) wrote in
om:

Secret Squirrel wrote in message
.97.131...
Once again they evolve. You can offshore the repetitive tasks of
programming. This is a good thing. Let me say it again in case you
weren't listening. This IS A GOOD THING. Just as we learned to use
machines to automate repetitive tasks during the industrial
revolution, this frees creative programmers to CREATE, not simply to
do drone work. You can not outsource creativity. You can not
outsource innovation and you cannot outsource innovative thought.

I disagree. Programming is NOT a cookie-cutter job like putting a nut
on a bolt. It is all about creativity and innovation and thought.

Which is exactly what I said. There are thousands of repetitive tasks
that dont especially need to be done people with a ton of training. They
can be assigned to others so others can create and innovate

What the heck are you talking about? There are not as many of those
repetitive tasks as you think there are. And even with those that do
"seem" to be, there are oodles of problems that come out of it from
off-shore. Trust me. I live it.

I think we are saying totally different things!

It sounds to me like these things you said can't be outwourced are
being outsourced. I see it in my own company. An entire ERP system
is being designed and implemented by Tata. Nary an American in the
new ERP system mix. All off-shore, in fact. And they will be piling
a bunch of prgrammers on the project who have all had two weeks of
mainframe programming training provided to them--all the while we laid
off a score of competent programmers, each having literally years of
experience.

What's wrong with this picture??

Well other than the fact that the project will likely fail? There have
been lots of articles recently regarding off shoring development
projects, many of them regrading jobs that were brought back onshore.
They all share the same basic theme. If you have a project that is
defined in every possible regard, the Indian prgrammers can write the
code. However, if the project requires any innovation, creativity of
devaition from the printed specs, they cannot. Writing the oriiginal
project specifications to this degree is just as time consuming in many
cases as writing the actual program in the first place.

Finally, something I agree with!

Problem is that way more money is wasted in this effort and the
beancounters who make these sorts of decisions and all they care about
is what it will cost to write the code and do not think the whole
thing thru.