Chris Doran

"Jimbo" (remove $ ) wrote in message ...
"Hugo Nebula" abuse@localhost wrote in message
On 12 Oct 2004 01:17:50 -0700, a particular chimpanzee named
(TimD) randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

In the Evening Standard last night.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...vening%20Stand

ard

Very sad story, but no doubt will be seized upon as justification for
changes to the Electrical Wiring Regulations (Part P)

"... a family friend tried to put something onto the same rack, which
was under the cooker hood, that same day and received a small shock."

A 'lectric DIY-er would immediately have applied the test meter he/she
had from the last time they rewired the house, verified the fault and
at least unscrewed the rack. With DIY banned, no one will know what to
do and won't want to call in a pro and wait a week for them to turn up
and charge a huge callout fee.

Only last week someone reported late at night getting a shock from a
light switch in the church loo. I found (at midnight when you won't
see many pros around) a non-waterproof "grid" switch which had slowly
let in soapy water over the years. Fitted, of course, by a pro. In the
course of the investigations I discovered that the water piping,
installed by a corgi, wasn't earthed.

Chris