Eric Tonks

Many motors in stationery tools could be converted to the higher voltage but
the big problem is they are not designed for 50hz power. Universal tools can
handle the 50hz but not the voltage. You will need a device that will
convert both the higher voltage to 120v and change the frequency, this may
be hard to find ready made. The old way would be a motor coupled to a
generator (often wired together within a motor/generator) or the modern way
with transformers, rectifiers and electronic frequency control.

"Old Nick" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 01:01:27 GMT, "john smith"
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

If you need 20Amps 120V out then you will only need 10A 240 volts in,
or thereabouts. Sorry if I misunderstand your post.

Hi all

Does anyone know if there is a inverter or transformer (not sure what

they
would be called) that will allow me to bring my 120 volt and 240volt

60hertz
tools to Australia. I'd like to bring the drills, drill press, jointer,
planer... with me if its possible to run them down there. So I guess

this
"machine" would have to handle up to 35amps 240volt and 20amps for

120volt.
FYI their power is 240volt 50hertz.

Thx Mat

Have you noticed that people always run from what
they _need_ toward what they want?????