J. Clarke

Old Nick wrote:

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 01:01:27 GMT, "john smith"
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

If you need 20Amps 120V out then you will only need 10A 240 volts in,
or thereabouts. Sorry if I misunderstand your post.

I think that he meant that he has 240 volt tools that take up to 35 amps and
120 volt tools that take up to 20 amps.

A transformer's not all that big a problem. The difficulty comes with the
frequency conversion, which requires an inverter or a motor generator and
neither of those is going to be cheap in the capacity required.

That's 10.8 KW total but they're inductive loads so there will be a
relatively high startup current. _Simplest_ solution might be to just
bring a US-spec gasoline or natural-gas powered generator with sufficient
output, but that will probably end up costing more than simply replacing
the tools.

Hi all

Does anyone know if there is a inverter or transformer (not sure what they
would be called) that will allow me to bring my 120 volt and 240volt
60hertz
tools to Australia. I'd like to bring the drills, drill press, jointer,
planer... with me if its possible to run them down there. So I guess this
"machine" would have to handle up to 35amps 240volt and 20amps for
120volt. FYI their power is 240volt 50hertz.

Thx Mat

Have you noticed that people always run from what
they _need_ toward what they want?????

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)