Andy Hall

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:33:58 +0100, Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost
wrote:

On 12 Oct 2004 09:51:41 -0700, a particular chimpanzee named
(StealthUK) randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

It's the first I've heard about burying cables 50mm. How many builders
or electricians do you think have complied with these regulations?
You'd be chasing half the brick wall out and that's not going to be
easy without some heavy duty machinery and surely would compromise
strength in the wall?

Vertical chases up to 1/3rd of the leaf thickness are allowed (33mm
for a 100mm block) but horizontal ones no more than 1/6th. Given that
most walls will have a reasonable thickness of render & skim over
(probably 13-15mm) or plasterboard on dabs (9.5mm + 10mm gap), then
the actual chase into the masonry should only be of the order of
30-35mm. So any cable should only be in a vertical chase.

Which presumably also makes diagonal runs a non-starter anyway?

I guess that there isn't a formula which gives you a depth based on
the angle......

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl