Phil Addison

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:47:33 +0100, Stefek Zaba
wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Well the fact is the dickhead D-I-Y er put a screw through a cable, and
didn't earth the appliance.

Not quite: they put a screw through a cable, but it wasn't holding an
Appliance, just a bit of metalwork (some fancy-pantsy chromed cutlery
rack, mfg cost 2 squid, yours-at-Heals-for-only-40-notes or some such).
And it was the all-too-effective earthing of a nearby appliance which
provided a low-impedance path to earth for the fatal current.

Bloody 'ell, you've just reminded me that my daughter has one of these
metal racks above her hob, and below the cupboard where an extractor fan
can be fitted. And I do recall seeing a fused outlet in the back of the
cupboard. I'll be round there with my meters and detectors tomorrow to
see if its feed is anywhere near the screws!!!

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me