The Natural Philosopher

Mark Webb wrote:
We had the area behind out house block paved last year. Whilst we are
generally pleased with the quality of work, we seem to have a problem with
the sand washing out of the joints in areas subject to localised water
action (around the drains or where condensation drips off the facia
boards). Is there anything I can use to lock the sand in place without
creating a look that is obviously cement(ed) please?

Yes. Use a very weak mix of cement - possibly white cement, and sand.
About 7-1 to 10:1.

I have laid my snadstone on that and 'grouted' it with tat quite wide
gaps - and it looks pretty sandy when done.

You can either brush it in dry, and brush the residue away, or go sloppy
wet like I did, but you have to sponge down everything afterwards, and
then treat with brick acid to remove the white covering the cement
leaves everywhere.

Try varous mixtures to get the colour and strength right - you want to
only prevent it washing away, not go stronger than that, and too strong
will look cementy.

Mark W.