David Gale

"Lloyd Parker" wrote:
"Kevin Singleton" wrote:
When, exactly, did you know that?

The important thing is, when should Bush have known it?

What, becoming President makes one omniscient? Wow, that's a great perk.
Remind me to sign up for the job.

The authorization your congressman passed doesn't specify.

It specifies doing what's necessary (not just Bush's whim) to defend the

US
(not for any reason Bush wants). There's nothing in there about invading
because Saddam was a mean man.

Now, when I look at the phrase "as he determines to be necessary and
appropriate", I notice that it says that the president (Bush) determines
what is necessary, and what isn't. Of course, I could be wrong, and it
could mean, "as Lloyd Parker will determine was necessary a year and a half
from now".

If you authorized me to strike against a "continuing threat", the way

your
congressman did, it does.

Not when there was no continuing threat.

The authorization declared that there was a continuing threat. They
could've written that the President was authorized to use force "in the
event that a threat becomes imminent", but they didn't. They said that
there *is* a threat, and that it needed to be dealt with.