mackem

Default Toilet cistern syphon/overflow

I've bought a replacement toilet bowl & cistern to replace an existing bowl
and cistern which were accidentally damaged.
New and old are the same make: Armitage and Shanks close coupled
"Charlotte".
The old cistern has a standard syphon and separate overflow fitted.
The new cistern is supplied without a separate overflow ( nor is there a
hole in the cistern to accommodate this ) and what seems to be a standard
syphon.
I contacted the supplier who said the syphon has a built-in overflow and a
separate overflow is not needed.
However, when I look at the new syphon it looks identical to the old syphon
and I cannot see how it contains an overflow mechanism.
How can I be sure that the new syphon does have a built in overflow?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Tia