Jamie

You don't need a whole house filter as previously noted.. but I'd recommend
something more convenient than a brita for cooking. Our fridge has a
built-in filter, as do most fridges with TTD ice, which is fine for my
personal cooking use. It can take a long time to fill a big pot for pasta,
though. If you have an older fridge with an automatic icemaker or water
dispenser, get an inline filter from HD for about 25 bucks that you can
install on the copper icemaker feed with very little effort.

In the $200 price range you can get an under-counter reverse-osmosis system
that gives better flow (because it has a holding tank) and also provides the
best filtration generally available for a consumer device. The inline
charcoal filters are pretty good, but might choke on very high lead levels.

In any event you should get your water tested and find out how big a problem
you have. Kits are available at HD type places, or your water company may do
one for free. If it's over 150 ppb, then a regular filter may not be enough.
I would test before & after filter installation, and periodically thereafter
if your lead levels were very high.

"Jo User" wrote in message
What does something like that run? Certainly must be cheaper than
replacing the water main. Of course if the water pressure is so low
that a new main would be nice anyway....