todd the wood junkie

"Michael Daly" wrote in message ...
On 11-Oct-2004, (todd the wood junkie) wrote:

I like to use RAW linseed oil.

Wouldn't this be the same thing as Flax Seed oil that you get at
a health food store to eat? That would be one way of getting the
stuff without any risk of hydrocarbons or driers in the mix (as
might be the case with hardware store linseed oil). Do they add
other stuff to flax seed oil (like other oils that might go rancid
more easily)?

Mike

I've never purchased it at a health food store, so I'm not sure. To
be sure, check the can or contact the manufacturer for exact
composition. I definately wouldn't use anything with vegetable oil
added because it may go rancid. I re-googled the subject since it's
been a while, and found lots of info (search on 'FLAX and LINSEED' and
you'll find further edification).

I have finished several cutting boards with RAW linseed oil and have
had no ill effects from myself or guests(after many salads). I kinda
like the smell (reminds me of grandpas oil paintings), but think I may
be in the minority on that one. One thing to keep in mind is this: I
usually give out a cutting board or two at xmastime, but try to finish
them in June or July to let the linseed fully cure. It's pretty much
usable after a few weeks, but I like to make sure when I give one out.