Jim Gott

After spending a short time turning
my back seems to get terrible aches. After DAGS I've read that the
centerline of the lathe should be at about elbow height. Anyone have an
opinion on this? I'm 6'4, so this would mean raising my lathe about 10 in.
or so. BRBR

I would suggest building a sturdy bench to put your lathe on--one that is solid
and heavy, and throw the stock legs away. That is what I did with my first
lathe and it made the lathe much more solid and stable than with the legs it
comes with. Build your bench so that the spindle is a couple of inches above
your elbow height and you'll be a happy camper. IMHO, the Jet 1236 is too low
(with the stock legs) for all but the shortest person.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA