Martin Angove

In message ,
(jim_in_sussex) wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message ...
In article ,
chris French wrote:
Surely if you wanted to do that you would have to lift every board
along the route!

maybe it's in the loft?

Not floor joists, then. Unless it's boarded over. Then there's a hole in
the bucket, dear Lisa...

sorry if question sounds stupid, but it is something that's always had
a question mark over it in my mind.

a. to clarify please add 'or ceiling' before joists

As you may have guessed it is almost always impractical to clip along a
joist, of whatever sort. Leaving the cable unclipped can also make it
easier to replace at some point in the future.

b. if it is legit to just rest cable on the (ordinary) plasterboard,
which IEE regs installation method is this?

Method 1 (free air, basically) BUT beware of bunching - grouping - where
several cables run together, particularly if they run together through
holes in joists. Better, in my mind, several small holes with one or two
cables in each than one large hole with many. Of course if we *are*
talking about the attic then we may be talking about Method 15 where the
cable is resting on the plasterboard ceiling (a "thermally conductive
surface" - see notes to Method 4) but otherwise covered with insulation.

also ISTM that there must be some danger of the plaster board being
punctured by various sharp objects like nails.

Possibly, though most people don't tend to hang much from their ceilings
other than lights which are usually already there. If a cable is loose
though, and reasonably free to move, there is every chance that a nail
(or screw, or drillbit) pushing through the plasterboard will simply
push the cable out of the way. If the drill bit is followed by one of
the expanding-type plasterboard fixings then there is a small chance the
cable could be trapped I suppose...

just going over things carefully to make sure there's no glaring
exceptions before Part P bites...

Hwyl!

M.

--