Andy Hall

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:48:31 +0100, "Nick" no_bother@all wrote:

I've just read a newspaper report on the death by electrocution of Jenny
Tonge's daughter.
A metal utensil rack in her kitchen had become live as a result of one of
its mounting screws
piercing a cable.
The coroner observed that the cable was only 10mm deep in the wall insted of
50mm.
Have the regulations changed? I don't think any cables in my house are sunk
that deep.

Nick.

This would depend on the direction and location of the cable.

It is permissible to run cables horizontally or vertically from a
wiring acessory - e.g. light switch, socket etc. at any depth

This is also permissible in a band extending 150mm out from the corner
of a room and 150mm down from the top of a wall.

Cables running elsewhere (e.g. vertically or horizontally but not in
line with a wiring accessory) have to be protected with a very stout
earthed shield or buried to 50mm or more.

So.... in this case, either cables were run incorrectly or a kitchen
fitter was careless, or the young lady suffered the attentions of
Darwin.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl