Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

I did throroughly clean everything remotely related to high voltage. In
fact, the monitor was clean to begin with, but now it's as clean as when

it
came off the assembly line. I just wish I had a schematic so I could

better
pinpoint the problem. I'll bet it's one component that's causing this.

Would
be a shame to scrap such a great tube just because of a possible

capacitor
or flyback problem.

Like I said before; the first thing I'd do is get out the soldering iron
& the solder-sucker, then go on a dry-joint hunt.

That's why I took the entire motherboard out in the first place. I spent 2
hours desoldering and reflowing solder all over that board!

Hard to imagine a capacitor having dried out, but I can't rule out a
defective batch (as what happened with Gigabyte motherboards a few years
back) either. I just don't have any documentation by which to trace out the
suspect components. Shipping it to a repair facility plus the repair cost
will cost as much as a new monitor, and I may not get as perfect a tube. I
hope my other NEC AS120 isn't going to follow this one. I rely on them both
very heavily.
Oddly, my wife criticized me for setting my Windows standby timer to 5
minutes. Perhaps having it shutdown so often has stressed the components
with extra startups. But at $240/month, I can't afford to let the monitors
run when I'm away from my desk. Ggggrrrr...

--
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . DVD MASTERING . AUDIO RESTORATION
Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
Business sites at:
www.dv-clips.com
www.mwcomms.com