Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 20:35:19 -0600, philski
wrote:

snip
Right now my shop smells of incense cedar. I also get a good whiff of
white oak and it brings back memories of Jack Daniels for some reason.

I like being in the shop - so much so that I have a table and chairs out
there as well as a refridgerator (gotta have a cold one on hand!). My
neighbor has his woodshop across the street too. So when his garage door
is open and mine is open, the saws are running and we often walk back
and forth to see each other's ongoing projects.

I guess I am a tool freak too :

Philski

The smell of the shop as the appealing element makes a lot of sense. The
sense of smell is very strongly associated with memory. Stepping into a
shop with the lingering odor of turpentine from finishes, or the smell of
fresh-cut wood can bring back very pleasant memories either from childhood
or from a previous session in the shop. When we moved several years ago,
our 3 year-old son, when I opened the storage area on the temporary
apartment's porch exclaimed, "It smells just like Daddy's shop at our old
house!" That's because I had stored some finishes that included the
turpentine and beeswax with which I had finished the workbench frame.