MLD

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message

"Default User" wrote in message
One of the few jobs the previous owners of the house didn't get too was
retiling the bathroom floors. They both still have the 1-inch square
mosaic tiles. Besides looking pretty dated, they take much care when
doing the other updates, so there's paint and old adhesive spattered
here and there.

From looking at it, I suppose the best idea is to remove the old tile
rather than laying on top of it. The subfloor is concrete. What's the
best way to get this sort of tile up?

hammer, ice scraper, belt sand, some sort of dust control and mask. it's a
messy job.

How much would a pro charge for a job like this (ballpark, St. Louis)?
The bathroom isn't huge, I'd think that mostly it's going to be cutting
the toilet, pedestal sink and various corners. I'm thinking about 12x12
ceramic tiles in some sort of complementary shade.

depends upon whether you're doing the demoing, and the cost of the tile.
tile and labor is charged by the square foot. call around some tile stores
(not big boxes) and ask their sqft charge.

usually the pedestal of the sink and toilet are taken out first as the

tile
goes under them.

I don't really have any experience laying tile, although I've seen it
on TV. If that Sarah on Bathroom Remodeling can do it, I should be able
to. I just have to figure out if it's worth the time for the money
saved.

there are several good books on it. try the library. you'll need to rent a
tile saw for a half day or so.

Happy to hear any thoughts on the matter.

Brian

All of the above. Had it done to a small bathroom and it took a full day.
But it was put down as if it would never have to be torn apart. The big
problem turned to be that the toilet flange was too high as a result of the
original sub and underlayment floors and had to be ground down to the new
level.
MLD