Don Klipstein

In article , I - Don Klipstein wrote:

I'm starting to wish I did when three of the four LOA ones that I bought
so far this decade died very young. If enough people pester those who
give us junk with their junk and work to go through honoring their
warranty, then they will shape up or go out of business.

Oops - I look back on written records handy to me, turns out I only
bought three LOA units so far this decade and had early failure of just
two.

Other early failures I had so far in CFLs that I bought so far this
decade:

1. Two GE 25 watt spirals that I bought in 2001 both failed after just a
few hundred operating hours. I no longer see GE 25 watt spirals on the
market.

2. I have purchased at least three dozen dollar store compact
fluorescents, totalling 10 "brands" and 22 "models". One was DOA and one
failed after just a few minutes of operation. Two others were "not right"
- one with an excessively hot base and one that flickered and had light
output much lower than that of other dollar store CFLs.

My main complaint of dollar store CFLs, however, is exaggerated claims
of light output. None of my 22 "models" matched nor exceeded the light
output of a 40 watt "soft white" incandescent, rated 445 lumens. Some of
these claimed to replace incandescents of 125 watts. One claimed 1130
lumens.
Another complaint of dollar store CFLs is that most are bluish
"daylight" in color, including some in packages saying "SUN Lighting" and
some in packages that say "Soft warm white light". A majority of the few
of my dollar store CFLs that actually had a "warm" color had a color more
purplish than other "warm" CFLs and also had a low color rendering index.

- Don Klipstein )