Pete C

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 00:04:50 -0700, Gordon Moat
wrote:

Pete C wrote:

BTW, do you know of any scanner software that can scan at 2 exposure
levels and combine the two images for best results? Do VueScan and
Silverfast do this?

Normally, that is something you would do with a few difficult images,
and then use your editing software to combine the results. I still use
LivePicture for this, since it allows this manipulation in 16 bit mode.

How best can they be combined, are there any tutorials on the web at
all? I've tried blending them 50/50 or 30/70, but wonder if there's a
better way.

Vuescan and SilverFast both have multi pass scanning, though the passes
are not varied in exposure. Basically, the multi pass feature allows for
the scanner converter to average out possible errors and could result in
a smoother scan with less noise. In practice, I rarely use that feature,
due to the extra scan time.

Noise isn't such a problem as I'm scanning negatives.

I have found that SilverFast is so good, that I rarely would need to
double scan at different exposures. I could not accomplish that same
level with CanoScan, or Vuescan software.

SilverFast doesn't support my scanner

cheers,
Pete.