Ecnerwal

In article ,
(Jeff Bennett) wrote:

I finish turned an Oak bowl today and ammonia fumed it. It darkened a
lot. Now I realize I have not sanded it yet. Will I sand away the
color or does the fumeing darken it all the way through?

JB

Fuming is a suface phenomena. It will sand off. Not a big deal, fume
again, unless you find a particularly satisfying 1/2 way effect and
decide not to. If you want it very dark, it's easy (put it in and forget
it) if you are trying for a lighter color you need more care to yank it
at the right time.