Harry

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Harry" wrote in message
there
seems to be enough water in the first elbow to freeze and crack the
copper.
This elbow is INSIDE the house, just as it turns to go through the
concrete
block wall. It's a pain to repair, through this small access panel in
the back of a wall unit facing the garage.

A couple of fixes

Heat tape wrapped on the tubing. Cost money to operate though.

Replace the elbow with one that has a drain. You probably won't find them
in the corner hardware store, but I've seen and used them. At the elbow
there is a screwed in valve that you open to vent. Check with someone
that does heating work if you don't see them in the stores.

Replace the elbow with a Tee. Put a drain valve on the base leg of the
Tee.

I can't imagine a 1/4 inch copper elbow that has a shutoff in it. Am I
imagining this wrong. I hadn't heard of heat tape. Is it something I can
find at a large hardware chain?

Harry