Mark

Default Building regulations for windows/fire saftey

Hi
I'm getting new UPVC windows fitted to my first
floor Maisonette.

I plan to make a bigger bathroom by blocking off
the kitchen entrance into the hall and making the
kitchen entrance via the lounge (which has access
to the hall).

I was told by the building control officer I needed
to make the kitchen window max 1100mm from the floor
and a clear opening of 450x750 so it can be used as
a fire escape. Currently it's 1100mm to the bottom of
the window sill, so it looks like I'm gonna have to
remove a layer of bricks. Do you think they would be
this fussy about it?

However, after chatting with some guys at work, they
said the windows would have to be kept clear as well,
ie nothing in front of them. Since I plan to put the
kitchen sink in front of them, it sort of stuffs up
my plan.

I've looked in the building regs and can't see any
mention of this.

Can anyone please advise?

Kind Regards,
Mark.