Stefek Zaba

Peter wrote:

Regs require that the means of isolation be double pole and readily
accessible, if the socket is behind the washer then it is not.

I think the strict requirement you mention applies only to electric
motors - and I don't think washing machines count! For domestic
appliances, functional switching as provided by the front panel is
accessible, while isolation and switching-for-mechanical-maintenance are
(I claim) adequately provided for by removing a plug from a socket. I'm
sure we could argue the toss about corner cases where two faults (a
live-to-casing *and* an earth continuity fault) make it dangerous to
move a washing machine or similar to get at a socket hidden behind it;
but domestic installs are typically designed under a single-fault
assumption. Better practice is indeed to have either an FCU in an
accessible position, mayhap as part of a gridswitch, or at least have
the socket in a next-door base unit so that isolation doesn't require
movement of the appliance; but I'm not convinced that the letter of the
Regs is violated by the common arrangement with the socket at the back
of a gap between applianceses...

Stefek