Joseph Meehan

Hullo,

We have recently (2 months ago) moved into a 100-year-old house. Last
week my 3-year-old was diagnosed for elevated lead levels in her blood.

I performed a lead-check test on our old, pitted and coarse, claw-tool
tub, and sure enough there is definitely lead present at the surface of
the tub.

Question is: what kind of refinishing/reglazing options do I have have
which will safely encapsulate the lead, and give me a nice durable
finish?

Seems like there are several spray-on/brush-on products, but is there
another level of refinishing quality above that?

TAI!

First, are you sure the lead you picked up is actually from the tub; or
could it be from the water that went into the tub?

In a home that old, it is likely that at some time, maybe even now, the
plumbing was such that it would have allowed lead to leach into the water.
Pipes, fittings and solder all have contained lead. Over many years lead
could have built up on the surface. Maybe just a very good cleaning is what
is called for.

I am assuming you have tested all the water very carefully, including
the water from that tub?

As for your question, the answer is yes. The better products are only
available with professional application, often in your home.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math