Sparks

"John" wrote in message
I think our oven is on the way out as food (joints etc.) take a lot longer
to cook than the recommended times at the recommended temps. Anybody know
how to check the temperature of an oven, without having to spend a fortune
on a suitable temp gauge? Are there any places they can be hired /
borrowed? Or am I likely to have anything in my garage or shed that may
help, i.e. certain things melt at certain temps. etc..

You didn't say if it was electric or gas...
If it's electric, does it have a light that tells you when the element is
actually on?
On all ovens I have seen, there is a light or symbol on a display that shows
you when the element is actually energised.
If you do have one of these, is it going off at all?
It should turn on when you turn on the oven, then go off when the oven is up
to temperature
If it is not going off, that is bad - one of the elements may have blown.

Sparks...