Mike

(Alan W) wrote in message . com...

5 1/2" crown moulding. By the way, either get a really good book on crown
installation from the library, or find someone to SHOW you how to do it
right. You will suffer far less that way. The process is far more than
just having the right tools.

Yes, I will definitely do a lot of research before comitting to the
project. I had planned on getting the Makita SCMS, which will
probably satisfy any width requirements but I'm not sure about heighth
requirements. A 5 1/2" cut is obviously too much for a 10" saw but
what is the practical maximum?

snip

I also recommend you learn how to cope, it's not that hard, secret is
a fine tooth blade and a bit of practice. If you are not painting
your crown, you have your work cut out for you and I would increase
the budget 50% for replacement pieces.

Yes, I plan to cope joints as necessary (after some practice on
sacrificial boards) and the molding will be painted.

I would also recommend one of those expanding posts/jack doo dads that
can hold a piece of crown on the roof and wall while you work the
other end.

Good idea.

My wife's smidgeon and mine are about .01 to .125+ apart.

I understand completely.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Cheers,
Mike