Ecnerwal

In article ,
Hitch wrote:

I am making a brass carving mallet, but as a newbie, I don't know the best
way to match up the diameter of the handle where it joins the head. I
machined up a hammer head and drilled a hole in it for a dowel to join the
handle to it, but how does one get the nice, smooth transition from the
handle to the head?

Rather than uing a dowel, turn a tenon on the handle stock. Then you can
either mount up the head and toss the whole assembly back in the lathe
to turn the handle with the head in place, or do a bunch of checking
with calipers and a parting tool to get the diameter just so and mount
the head after turning the handle.