patrick conroy

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 16:16:22 -0600, "Jay Windley"
wrote:

Many years ago, one of my first design jobs was at Herman Miller. We spent
a lot of time fuming over the fact that Laz-E-Boy outsold us ten to one.
But just because the market favors something doesn't make it objectively
good.

Herman Miller - very nice.

My father sold *nice* furniture down in the Merchandise Mart for
years. As such, I grew accustomed to liking/appreciating such items as
Rowland's 40/4 in the den, a Corbusier or a Wassily in the living room
or a Breuer in the kitchen.

But I think your point about the consistency of a design - any theme -
is the noteworthy point.

I live in a McMansion - it suits our family needs in this stage of our
life. If I win the lottery and have enough money to afford anything,
the first thing I'll do is hire an architect then build and furnish a
house that suits my style.

Interesting reflection - is that I wouldn't do this without an
architect, but I'd likely not hire an interior designer. Hmmm. A
little hypocrisy I guess.