Andy Hill

(Rex) wrote:
Me and the wife are shopping for carpet, and have gotten totally
confused.
So many brands and types our heads are spinning!
We are looking for a quality carpet (not berber) for our living area.
Can someone just give us a solid opinion on brands and fiber types?
Karastan seems to be the "best" (or did they just have the best
salesman?).
We have two kids and a cat. We want something comfortable, that wears
well, and is stain resistant (don't we all). Probably cut pile.
Any good opinions, or at least things that are important or what to
stay away from??

Thanks in advance for your advice...

When we added onto our place a couple of years ago, we put in a cut pile that
used the Dupont Tactesse nylon fiber...offhand, can't remember the actual carpet
manufacturer. It's some sort of fleck pattern that hides dirt well, unlike our
old solid teal-green carpet, which would look dirty 30 seconds after being
vacuumed. Nice to be able to clean "because it's cleaning day", not because
"the carpet looks like crap a day after we cleaned it". The carpet has done
well so far -- very nice to walk on barefooted (we also put in the best pad the
installer offered, which also helps in that regard), and holds up well even in
the high-traffic areas. Two adults, two young kids, and two cats have yet to
spill anything on it that couldn't be cleaned up with a bit of water. Time will
tell how well it will survive the next 10 years, 'tho.