Greg G.

Steve Wolfe said:

I couldn't get any pages of the woodworker's choice to work other than the
main page, but the HF chisel set that I've used for about a year and a half
sounds nearly identical - the only variation being the variety of chisels, I
got one skew and two scrapers. Because the two scrapers were identical, I
ground one to a different profile. Overall, I've considered them to be
perfectly adequate for my needs. Harbor Freight isn't completely useless,
just mostly so.

Mostly... ;-)

Actually, I went back and bought another set so I would have spares
and could practice/experiment with regrinding different profiles on
something that didn't cost me $95.00. I turned a lidded vessel
yesterday, and I am quite pleased with their performance - especially
for the price! I can fill in the holes with better/pricier units. My
biggest disappointment was the lack of a bowl gouge. I was thinking
of altering the 3/8" gouge in the set with a steep side bevel and
other mods for this purpose. But from what I now understand, most
bowl gouges are apparently made from rod steel and flex more than the
hard, brittle HSS used in these gouges. I'm no expert, however...

Greg G.