Flint Cottonwood Weiss

I have the same lathe and the stand mine came with was way to low.

I mounted mine to my bench where the base sits ~waist high which works
out pretty close for elbow height.

I wouldn't worry about the 10" part. Just get it up at the right
hight for you to be able to stand up while you work the wood.

You might be able to do the right thing on a stool but I've personally
found that it is easiest to hold your uppper body in position and then
shift your weight to move up and down the stock....and for me that is
easiest done standing.

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 15:19:31 GMT, "Dave jackson"
wrote:

Hi,
I am new to turning and am having a great time learning to create
different things on my lathe. I decided on a Jet 1236 to compliment the
other Jet machines I have and so far am pleased with it. However, there is
one problem I aim to fix this weekend. After spending a short time turning
my back seems to get terrible aches. After DAGS I've read that the
centerline of the lathe should be at about elbow height. Anyone have an
opinion on this? I'm 6'4, so this would mean raising my lathe about 10 in.
or so. Also, does anyone sit while turning? I seem to remember barstools
being quite comfortable to sit on for a couple of hours at a time, although
since getting married a few years ago, have not been on one lately. I think
it would bring me to the right height with the lathe though. Ant thoughts
on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks, dave