Lobby Dosser

"AAvK" wrote in news:mVkad.18421$_a3.1997@fed1read05:

Well I guess I'll have to "tap" all day then, ay?

Then you're hitting it too hard.

Did not...

Put down the big mallet. Get a small, light hammer (about 4oz) and tap
it _quickly_.

I did exactly that.

It may take some goes, but I've never met a plane this
wouldn't unstick unless the iron was actually rusted in.

That's reassuring

If you're recovering a junker, then you may need to be brutal to the
wedge. But this is very much a last resort.

No, as I said they're both new.

Making new wedges isn't that easy either -

Not needed.

Thank you Andy! Really appreciated! A great answer of help. CHEERS!

Alex

Try this.

If the iron extends beyond the wedge AND the wedge end of the iron is
narrower than the cutting end - it should be - then put the palm of one
hand over the top of the plane and hold the wedge tightly with thumb and
index finger while Gently tapping on the wedge end of the iron. The iron
should come free out of the mouth. Be sure that the iron has a soft place
to land.

I have successfuly used this method on a couple 18th century planes.

LD