Speedy Jim

Scott wrote:

Speedy Jim,

How do you mean the white wire should be taped to appear black. I assume I need
to use it somewhere in the circuit? I believe (but I can't remember for sure) that on
the old heater, both the white and black leads were connected.

Yes, the heater is rated for 240V, and the breaker is twice the height of all the other
breakers, meaning it's 240V (just like the well pump breaker).

Scott

It's a fine technical point having nothing to do with the
heater working or not. Normally, the Wh wire is Neutral
in a 2-cond cable. In this case, *both* wires are Hot
and Code stipulates that the Wh wire may be used as Hot
*if* it is labeled so at both ends.

That's to help prevent accidents where someone assumes the
Wh wire to be Neutral when in fact it's Hot.
Jim

Speedy Jim wrote:

Scott wrote:

Speedy Jim,

Yes, the black lead loops to the other end, so either end could be used for the hot
lead. I did check Marley's website and they do have a thermostat kit that can be
integrated into the heater case. The wiring diagram seems fairly straighforward,
or should I call in a professional, it being 240V?

Thanks!
Scott

Follow the directions and you should be OK.
Verify that the replacement heater is actually rated for 240V
(you probably already did this).

BTW, if the circuit feeding this is 240V, the Wh wire
should be taped (or otherwise) to appear Black.
And the breaker should be a 2-pole (common trip) unit.
Jim

Scott

Speedy Jim wrote:

Scott wrote:

I bought an 8' Marley Electric Baseboard Heater to replace the old one in our
family room. The new heater has a single black wire plus a copper ground
wire. However, the old one was wired with a black and white wire, plus a
ground. They're both the same type of heater. Which wire coming out of
the wall should I use....the white or the black?

Thanks!
Scott

I'll bet there is another conductor (Blk) at the
opposite end. If fed from one end, this conductor
has to be looped back to the opposite end.

Marley probably has a thermostat kit to be added to one end.

You may however be in over your head on this one.
Don't take a chance.

Jim