Andy Hall

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 13:50:05 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
For tool purchases, Which? would be the last place I'd look for
comparisons.

So you'd not agree with them that the Makita 4340CT is the 'best on test'?
Next being Metabo STE 70? Then Bosch PST 850 PE?

Probably out of those three, that would be a reasonable order, but
it's not really an apples to apples comparison, because the Bosch GST
series is in price between the Metabo and the Makita with other
reviews showing it as better than both.

They've set out a range of products from the low end to the high and
attempted to compare them - the results aren't that surprising.

What? Best on test, but taking into account price?

You'd need to read the
entire article to get the full info - as I think I'd suggested - but
price, or indeed brand, doesn't always guarantee the best performance.
The results are surprising. I'd suggest you read the article in full.

I did but didn't find them that surprising:

"Best on Test is the Makita 434OCT with an impressive total test score
of 86 per cent. At around £175 it's not cheap so is best suited to the
semi-professional or avid DIYer."

"If you're on a budget and don't mind compromising a little on cutting
speed and quality, or if you just need a jigsaw for one or two tasks,
pick the Wickes 710W pendulum jigsaw. At under £20 from Wickes it's
fantastic value for money."

"If you want a Best Buy with a mid-range price tag, choose from the
£50 Bosch PST 650 PE,the £80 Metabo STE 70, both available from
independents, or the £90 Bosch PST 850 PE"

The Wickes one came in at 76% and was inferior to the Makita on most
issues including safety and equal on others.

Predictably, the Wickes product started to deteriorate rapidly:

"But the bargain price tag comes at the expense of endurance. At the
end of our 15-hour test, the jigsaw was not only very noisy, its motor
bearings were clearly worn. Since it's so basic, it has neither an
anti-splinter device nor a parallel guide."

So it's fantastic value for money for a short while according to
Which?. Doesn't seem very interesting to me.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl