Chuck Harris

NSM wrote:

Lightning strikes up from the best point on the ground. IMO, the safest way
is to install a lightning rod away from the house (separately guyed) but
close enough to protect your property. Just don't stick your tongue on it
when it's stormy out!

It is my understanding that a lightning rod provides a statistical cone of
protection that is approximately the same diameter at the base as the rod
is high. To protect my 65 foot long house would require a rod that is
around 150 feet high, and right next to the chimney. Or perhaps 2 rods
100 feet high on either end of the house.

"Honey, I have to put up a 200 foot ham tower to protect our house from
lightning!"

-Chuck Harris