Andy Dingley

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 07:21:36 -0700, "AAvK" wrote:

Well I guess I'll have to "tap" all day then, ay?

Then you're hitting it too hard.

Put down the big mallet. Get a small, light hammer (about 4oz) and tap
it _quickly_. It may take some goes, but I've never met a plane this
wouldn't unstick unless the iron was actually rusted in.

If you're recovering a junker, then you may need to be brutal to the
wedge. But this is very much a last resort.

Making new wedges isn't that easy either - they need to be an
excellent grade of stable well-seasoned timber (beech) that's already
a few years old. Then you need to get the angles to fit the body
accurately. A sloppy wedge is one that won't hold its adjustment in
the future.

--
Smert' spamionam