dicko

The last issue of Woodsmith has an article on Old Fashioned Finishes.

It mentions Asphaltum Varnish Stain, made by "mixing equal parts of
boiled linseed oil and asphaltum varnish. Asphaltum varnish is nothing
more than Gilsonite (asphault) and mineral spirits..."

It then suggests Letterhead Sign Supply as a source for Aspaltum
varnish. www.letterheadsignsupply.com

dickm

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 06:24:06 GMT, Frank Campbell
wrote:

In article , brian
roth wrote:

I'm trying to replicate a Art & Crafts finish and need a pigment
stain that contains Gilsonite (alphaltum or tar). However, any
stain I look at lists no ingrediants at all... So, how do I find
out for sure????

This site has some info about Gilsonite, they claim boiled linseed oil,
Gilsonite and turpentine became Danish Oil. Lots of information on
their information page about finishing, no affiliation.
http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/ht...mentStains.htm