On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 18:03:43 -0400, Greg G. wrote:

Larry Blanchard said:

In article , Greg G. says...
This set does not appear in the HF catalog, and appears to be the same
set sold by The Woodworkers Choice as Item 3494.
The handles are well contoured, and dyed a dark rosewood color.
(Presumably to emulate a Crown or Sorby handle.)
They blades are marked HSS and are, of course, made in China.

When these appeared a few years ago, there was a discussion of them on
the woodturning newsgroup. The consensus was that they were well worth
the money, but experienced turners would probably want to turn a new set
of handles.

As mentioned in the OP, these are not the tools that appear in the HF
catalogs. The handles are these are almost identical to the crown
handles, albeit not real rosewood. I've seen the Windsor sets
previously discussed, and the handles are thick and natural colored.

the windsor turning tools come in clear finished handles and dark
reddish brown finished handles. mine are the dark ones.

These are profiled completely differently and stained a rosewood
color. Perhaps they read the wreck and altered the handle profiles?

I bought a set (on sale, when else) and am ashamed to admit I've never
gotten around to trying them. Too much other stuff to have time for
woodturning.

I understand completely. I'm getting to spend some time in the shop
because SWMBO is off visiting friends and family in CA. Last winter,
I didn't get a chance to do ANYTHING in the shop. This year is gonna
be different - yea right... ;-)

Greg G.