J T

Sat, Oct 9, 2004, 2:53am (EDT+4) (Edwin=A0Pawlowski) says:
snip but I do know you should avoid any method that can get repetative
where you can miss and cut yourself instead of the wood. Don't get into
a situation where you are pushing the material into the saw with your
left hand and bringing down the bladw with your right. snip

Heh heh. Got it covered.

OK, about my favorite woodworking magazine - Popular Mechanics -
has an article in the March 1995 issue, Power Miter Saw, by Rosario
Capotosto. For making a power compound miter saw, using a 8 1/4"
circular saw for power. Says it will make a cut of 1 1/2" X 6 1/8" at
90 degrees

I won't need the compound feature, so that'll make it al lot easier
for me. I haven't done this yet, but am working out details, as I think
I'll be needing to make a lot of cuts of 1/2" X 8" material. So, I'm
thinking a 10" saw should work. Some of the waste cuts would wind up
being small, around 1/2" X 3", or even less.

Anyway, I'm figuring on a moveable stop, then just to the right of
the blade, a ramp, leading straight down in front. I'd slide the piece
until it hits the stop, cut it off, and the cut piece slides down the
ramp, and into a box, neatly out of the way, then slide the wood for the
next cut. Important part - I'll be putting some kind of barrier on the
left, so even if my hand slips right, it's not going to get into contact
with the whirly part. I've got something similar on my saw sled, I'd
basically have to lay my hand flat, and slide my fingers under the
barrier, before they'd come into contact with the blade.

Like I said, right now this is still in the planning stages. For
one thing, I'd have to buy a larger circular saw. Another, I'm still
not decided that I won't just go with a new saw sled - certainly a much
cheaper option.

The miter saw in the article is pretty nifty. An advantage is, you
can take your saw off, and use it as intended, save buying an expensive
mitre saw. And, of course, if you only need it for 90 degree cuts, you
could leave out the compound features, and it'd be a lot faster, and
easier to make.

I did a fairly short google, and didn't run across plans for it on
the web. That's not to say it's not out there somewhere.

Popular Mechanics is one of my favorite woodworking magazines.
They've been publishing woodworking plans for something over 100 years. =

Hmm, just hit me. Wonder if Pop Mech would sell reprints of the
article, or, even better, put the article on the web, if someone asked
them nicely? I'm betting they's at least sell reprints.

I've been going thru all my old magazines, picking out the ones I
want to save, and going to get rid of the rest - which will be most of
them. Car magazines, woodworking, boating, etc. Ran across this
article a couple of weeks ago, didn't even recall seeing it before, but
recall the cover page.

JOAT
I smile because I know my God loves me. You on the other hand, he
doesn't much like.