Paul Franklin

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 01:11:23 +0100, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On 9 Oct 2004 15:54:22 -0700, (brian roth)
wrote:

I'm trying to replicate a Art & Crafts finish and need a pigment
stain that contains Gilsonite (alphaltum or tar).

I do use Gilsonite (which you can get from Liberon) but I can't think
of any A&C or even woodstain recipe that uses it. All the times I've
seen it (usually as Asphaltum) it has been for stove-enamel recipes on
metal, such as original Pontypool japan.

A fried recently gave me a Black Mirror, made from bitumen and
Gilsonite on the back of glass.

Avoid "tar" as a description - too many sorts. Some of them are
practically turpentine.

One of the woodworking magazines (wood or woodsmith I believe) had an
article on using this to make an arts and crafts look stain. Looked
really good. Although I read it recently, it could have been from
current to 5 years or so ago...I'm a little behind on my reading!

If the OP can't turn it up, email me and I'll scrabble around for it.

Paul

(you know what to leave out)