Stuart Johnson

In article , (brian roth) wrote:
I'm trying to replicate a Art & Crafts finish and need a pigment
stain that contains Gilsonite (alphaltum or tar). However, any
stain I look at lists no ingrediants at all... So, how do I find
out for sure????

Phil Laird posted his formula that might be something you can make up
yourself. I haven't seen any posts from him in a long time.

Stuart Johnson
Red Oak, Texas

My standard mixture

4lt ( about 1 gal) Mineral turpentine
Small tin of brushable roofing tar ( 250/500g) I use a brand by the name of
"Ormanoid" This is basically runny bitumen used for sealin roofing and
gutters.

Mix some turps and afew dollops of tar together to form a slurry ( into a
2lt icecream container - remove ice cream first!) and pour into container of
turps.
Test for colour - darken by adding more goop - or lighten by adding more
turps.
About half a 500g tin ( thats 250g for those of you that have bother doing
sums ) should give a nice depth of finish to four litres of turps - If that
is more than you are likely to use,adjust accordingly.
Usually it stays in stasis but some sediment will form - I chuck some old
bolts into the container and shake him up a bitty.

This stuff sprays, wipes and brushes with very little wastage. The turps act
to soften and break down the tar goop and as a carrier which evaporates
off - leaving a nice coppery bronzed pigment when applied to light woods -
especilly Pine.

This will take any manner of finish - good with poly or resin based finishes
and remains colour fast.

Remember though if you are spraying it - This is atomised tar , either dont
breath for a goog hour or so, or wear a mask ( organic mist carbon filter
type - you know, a proper one.) The responsibiliy is yours.\

Aveago

Phil