Michael Daly

On 9-Oct-2004, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

But charging circuits are different. You can't charge NiMh in NiCad
charger or vice versa.
Tony

Depends. Some chargers can handle both. Older ones probably not.

Depends in a couple of different ways. Some modern chargers can charge
both and have a switch to select which is in use. I haven't seen anything
like that on a portable phone. There may be an auto-detect mechanism -
my cell phone can use NiCd, NiMH or Li-Ion and figures it out itself.

Second way - if the charger is a _slow_ charger, either NiCd or NiMH can
be charged. But slow chargers tend to be dumb chargers and the risk
of overcharge is there. Also, I can't remember what guidelines quantify
the difference between fast and slow - 100 mA? less? more?.

Mike